Let's help all the women shine | Tax reform and investors and small businesses | Adventure resources to inspire | My quest to redo how I'm managing my investments. How honest will I get?! | The mini-piglet that became a business | Stop with using the debit card | End-of-year reminder for sheconopreneurs
"Quick. Tell me your biggest money fail to-date," I say to a dear friend.
She doesn't even skip a beat,
I once bought a Land Rover. I was, um, young.
Cheers to all the * Rover sheconomistas and the like out there, no matter what camp you fall in. Come as you are, I say.
In no particular order on my mind today: black women voters; my knee and whether or not I'll be able to run a 2018 race; how to roll the perfect wonton; and whether or not it's time to buy property and start homesteading, not to be mistaken with seasteading (Sheconomista V, remember that stage in my life?!).
I am Lauren Lizardo, Sheconomista lady-in-charge and money opiner. I help makers bring on the wealth. I love adventures - big and small. I celebrate failures, as much as I do wins. I am also an obsessed Aunt who wants to be a shining example of living a good life, practicing self-care, and building a financial portfolio that allows me to give away money 24x7.
Welcome. The Sheconomista Report continues to evolve as I get feedback and refine the intersection of what I love to research and write about and what you readers tell me you need. Write me and tell me about your adventures and your money thoughts. I have a special place in my heart for confessions. I know they are scary but doesn't it feel good to just say it out loud?! We've all been there. I love hearing from you. You form this space.
news + observations that impact your wallet
- Another day at work for many women: Lower pay, passed over, treated as incompetent and subjected to slights via WaPo >> These stats never cease to amaze me and not at the same time. They are also fuel to keep with the path I am on and to keep encouraging women to be their own businesses. Part of why I love about working with sassy, savvy lady entrepreneurs is they've been there and they get what other women face every day. As a result, they want to empower and raise the bar for all females with which they work. They are all about the shine theory. We need more of this in our world!
- Our Take: The New Tax Bill Is Bad for Individual Investors. Act Now to Help. via The Fool >> It's no secret I am crushed by the way the tax reform bill has been pushed through, especially when I've - along with so many others - been waiting for this day for so long. As an investor, I was pained to receive this tidbit in my inbox.
- The GOP tax bill will hit Americans in radically different ways depending on how they earn their money via Business Insider >> This is an interesting take on how the bill will impact self-employed versus employed folks. Talk about conflict. I don't know what to think when I am both an investor AND self-employed/pass-through business. We'll see where the bill falls. I'm not getting too emotional, but as the details are starting to see the light of day finally and will pass - maybe by the time this has hit your inbox - I am starting to get a little anxious for what this means immediately and in the future.
- Roadtrippers >> Head to this website for some road-tripping inspiration. 2018 summer will be here before you know it.
- Karen Kwang >> I started following Karen Kwang on Instagram because well, she's Asian and she's outdoorsy and was making a go at being a thru-hiker on the PCT. There's not many of my kind around. She continues to do really cool things in the world in a refreshingly open, honest, and ordinary way. I recommend following her for some everyday outdoor adventures and goals in life.
As I mentioned before, I am reviewing different platforms to manage my investments. I've been managing on my own, using E*TRADE and an ugly spreadsheet. I'm now looking to delegate more and streamline. Maybe. I'm contemplating robo-advisors, hybrid human + robo-advisors, cleaning up my current system. My returns have been above average, but I just don't have the time to care for my investments in the way I have in the last few years, especially as I focus on growing my business.
Does anyone out there use investment platforms that you are into? If so, send them my way or if you've used any of the below, let me know!
- Vanguard Personal Advisor Services
- Schwab Intelligent Advisory
- These men thought they adopted a mini piglet. She became Esther the Wonder Pig, a 650-pound darling of the Internet. via WaPo >> I'm in love with this modern day story of entrepreneurship. Go. Go. Go. And their empire is growing with Cornelius, the turkey. You never know where a business is hanging out friends. Stay open and nimble if you dream of having your own thing one day.
reminders + adulting = sheconoLOVE
- Use a credit card instead of debit card, especially for online purchases. Here is why. If you don't have the time to read those tips, let me highlight the top line: your debit card is linked directly to your checking account. If your debit card is stolen, your cash will dwindle and it's harder to recover. Cash is king for things like rent, car payments, utilities, etc. I've seen debit theft happen more than once and it is a painful process to get your cash back. Create the buffer and be done with it.
- Sheconopreneurs: Collect W-9s from your outside subcontractors. 1099s are due to the IRS on January 31, 2018. If you are a Quickbooks Online subscribers, you can complete them electronically. I have also used this online service, Yearli to file both 1099s and W-2s for employees. Still not quite sure who the hell should get a 1099?! Don't be shy, check it -- How to Determine Who Receives a 1099.
It's the holidays. Drink responsibly. Eat all the good food. Enjoy your people. Next week, I'm giving away a couple Tiles because sometimes you leave your keys in the produce section at the grocery store and need to find them (true story).
---------- > Does someone in your life need some money talk in their life?! Forward them the good money word. <----------
New around here? There are a few back issues for perusal here. Overall, I don't recommend looking back, only forward but you do you.
You can sign up here.
Reminder: you are receiving this email because you subscribed via laurenlizardo.com.
If you have received this email by mistake or no longer wish to receive it, please unsubscribe below.
Banner PC: Erin Sweeny Studio
Important small print. I have a bomb-ass lawyer who tells me to tell you these things you agree to by reading my newsletters. For extra emphasis: I am not a financial advisor, planner, CPA, licensed to do anything except give opinions, shop for hitches, pickle strange vegetables, and look for new friends who want to kayak in obscure places with me and maybe fly fish too?
People, I am an everyday lady who, by learning a bit about money so I could have a semi-intelligent conversation with my financial advisor, figured out I didn't need an advisor at this point in my life nor for my business. Killed that mystery. I did not go to a fancy school. I did graduate something cum laude and not in anything remotely related to money, so there's that as well.