Issue 26, December 27, 2017
View in browser (aka Tino version) here.
If you are receiving this as a forward, sign up for the money joy <a data-preserve-html-node="true" href="http://laurenlizardo.com/" target="_blank" "="">here.
Scroll for the goods. I'm giving things away for fun!
One month ago, I wrote about Sheconomista New Homeowner who said she started her Acorns account in March. She forgot about it, and when she took a look last month, she had $400. I just asked here where she is at today. She has $450 in there all from spare change! So fun!
I looked at my account. I started in January 2016. To-date, I have had 2038 round-ups, totaling $957.89 in spare change that has been invested. Sometime in 2017, I started investing my weekly coffee money. As of today, my account total is $2,324.49 with a market gain of 14.80%. I haven't even noticed the money leaving my account. Talk about set it and forget it. I don't promote this for primary investing; I promote this as a just-get-started thing. I really like this for younger folks who are a bit intimidated by the process.
Do you have an Acorns account?! Write me and tell me about your stats and your name will be put in the basket for a $10 Acorns investment from me! CHEERS to spare change investing!
Don't forget the disclaimer at the bottom of this message. If you click on the image above, it'll take ya to my link to sign up, and we'll both earn $5 if you take the plunge. It's anonymous. I won't know it's you so don't worry. It's free money. I don't do this for the five bones. I do it for fun and because I think it's a non-intimidating investing platform.
It's that awkward week before New Years. At least for me. I want it to end and don't all at the same time. I hope you're staying warm if you're in cold parts. I'm salty over snow on the ground. It's messing with my running game which has been getting strong. I guess it's time to bust out the skis and embrace the next adventure. Sigh. #firstworldproblems
Happy all-the-holidays, friends. I am Lauren Lizardo, head of this money show. I heart dollars and coins and what it can do for your life. I especially adore makers and their contributions to this world-be it as a main gig or side gig or secret gig. Keep creating your digital things, your make-believe things, your real things. Then send them to me and tell me about them. We will celebrate.
It's a funky week, so we have a funky newsletter. Welcome.
she calculates. that is all she does this week.
- Tax Bill Calculator: Will Your Taxes Go Up or Down? via the NY Times >> Super interesting and frustrating. Keep in mind if you are a business owner (C- corp or pass-through business), this does not account for your cuts, but you can see what the hypothetical impact would be based on your AGI if you weren't a business which is something. My bottom line: my hypothetical $201 savings is totally not worth it considering the long-term impact on our economy. So.Shortsighted.
- How Much Retirement Savings Should You Have Right Now? via the Balance >> I hear this question a lot. And I say what the article says, "It Depends." I know it is easy to bury your head and not look (if you haven't already), but I encourage you to take a peek. The make-believe Sheconomista Manifesta says we function from a place of knowledge and knowledge this is. For a lot of sheconopreneurs, this number can be daunting because we're defying conventional personal finance rules. Don't get too caught up in this formula and remember as an entrepreneur, you get to dictate how much money you bring in and don't bring in therefore how much money you invest and don't invest. So.Awesome.
- Roth IRA Conversion via JV Accounting >> For those of you who wonder if you should convert your IRA to a Roth IRA. Learn about more and the process here if this is a question that lingers in your mind.
- The 25 Most Popular Passwords of 2017: You Sweet Misguided Fools via Gizmodo >> I can't stop writing about it. I know. Make 2018 the year of new passwords!
- Woman charged $350 for leaving negative hotel review, lawsuit claims via CBS News >> Read the fine print.
- Make 2018 the year you are hydrated. It makes a difference. I love my water phone app because the data and the dings motivate me. Here (via Lifehack) are some fun ones if you need some technical motivation.
This week is Free Tile Week! Are you the Tile winner?! Check your emaillll. Happy new year to you and yours. CHEERS.
---------- > Does someone in your life need some money words in their life?! Forward them this money gospel. <----------
New around here? There are a few back issues for perusal here. I don't recommend looking back, only forward but you do you boo boo.
You can sign up here.
Reminder: you are receiving this email because you subscribed via laurenlizardo.com or sheconomista.co
If you have received this email by mistake or no longer wish to receive it, please unsubscribe below.
Banner PC: Erin Sweeny Studio
Important small print. I have a bomb-ass lawyer who tells me to tell you these things you agree to by reading my newsletters. For extra emphasis: I am not a financial advisor, planner, CPA, licensed to do anything except give opinions, shop for hitches, pickle strange vegetables, and look for new friends who want to backcountry ski with me.
People, I am an everyday lady who, by learning a bit about money so I could have a semi-intelligent conversation with my financial advisor, figured out I didn't need an advisor at this point in my life nor for my business. Killed that mystery. I did not go to a fancy school. I did graduate something cum laude and not in anything remotely related to money, so there's that as well.*